February 25, 2013

{DIY Wedding Tips} Distressed Name Sign & How To Incorporate it into Wedding Pictures!


It's the beginning of a new week, ya'll!!

My 12 week clinical is flying by... I only have five weeks left and I'm starting to already get sad at the prospect of leaving my sweet kids. 
But it's one step closer to graduation which is thrilling & scary at the same time!!

I'm back to share some more DIY wedding ideas that I used in my sweet & simple wedding a few weeks ago. 
This one is seriously my favorite thing I did and it was a total accident in how it came about. 
You've gotta love those kind of projects. 

And just wait... I'll show you how we incorporated it into some amazing wedding pictures at the end of the post!! 

If you follow me on Facebook at all, you might remember when I picked up this random scrap piece of wood off the side of the road & brought it home: 


The funny thing is,
I totally drove by this lovely at least 7-8 times before deciding to finally get out and look at it. 
As soon as I saw the perfectly distressed finish it had, I snatched it up. 

I knew what I wanted to do with it the moment I got out and looked at it and it was an incredibly easy project!
Mostly owed to the fact that I didn't really want to mess with the finish it already had.
So no paint job required. 

I think hubby is still getting used to me being so excited about wood people typically trash :) 

So first things first, I used my miter saw to hack off the chewed- up end and still had a huge piece left to work with. 
I gave it a heavy sanding to get the loose paint off which just added to the distressed look I so loved. 

Then I used a light blue paint and very slightly dry-brushed some over the original finish.
Just to give it a little hint of blue strewn throughout the paint. 
In. Love. 


Next, I used the old-fashioned way to get my letters on there. 
I found a font I liked in Microsoft Word, enlarged it and then made it go into 'outline' mode so I didn't use a massive amount of ink.
Print the letters and then use an exacto knife to cut them out, leaving the stencil behind. 

The stencil is what I used to make my letters but it would be amazing to use the letters themselves and trace around it with a paint pen. 

I wanted the letters to really stand out so I used a round sponge brush to brush some creamy-colored paint onto the board. 
The Purdy brush below is what I used to dry-brush the blue paint on with.
Love me some Purdy :) 



Then I used a fine-grit sandpaper to run over it, letting the original grain of the wood show through. 

Isn't it just delicious? 



Check out that naturally distressed finish?? 
I love all the chippy paint. 


It took me about 20 minutes to finish & was an instant show-stopper. 
At first it was just going to go up in the house but after finishing it, Hubby saw it and demanded that it be used somehow in the wedding :) 

And I'm so glad he did!! 


It ended up being the absolute perfect focal point on the drink table. 
I propped it up on the table behind the punch bowls & mason jars and had tons of people asking me about it. 

Who'd have thunk it had nearly been thrown away? 
It was the star of the show...
besides us, that is :)

{Photo by Captured by Tomie}

{Photo by Captured by Tomie}

And I just love this picture of it faded out behind the cake for some reason :)

{Photo by Captured by Tomie}

And because we loved it so much.
we just had to use it in some of our pictures!!!

I'm so glad our sweet friend suggested it because they turned out gorgeous :) 

We let it hang at an angle and my turquoise heels dangled off the end. 
So pretty!!!


And this is normal life :) 
My goofy husband!!



It was such a sweet & special touch to our pictures :)
And now it gets to hang in our house too!!



It was such a seriously easy project to do and it made a huge impact!
If you don't have a wedding to use it in, 
it's absolutely gorgeous as a statement piece in your house too.

You can achieve the distressed look yourself by layering paint onto a new piece of wood or keep your eyes peeled for curbside finds. 
Habitat Restore is also a great place for finding used wood.
I scored some amazing old barnwood there this past weekend!! 

What do you think?
Are you dying for an over-sized distressed sign now?

I've got some more wedding yumminess coming up so keep checking back!!
Have a great Monday :)


---------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure to check out my distressed Easter sign that can be ordered through my Facebook page here!! 





Pin It
Like me on Facebook. Follow me on Pinterest. Subscribe to my feed

post signature

Linking up at: 


7 comments:

  1. i really love that! and the simple block text is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable! I love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sign and your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And the pictures are gorgeous! Now I think I may have to make a sign too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sign! I have done the same thing, drive by something several times before I snatch it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful!! I am in love with weathered and distressed pieces. I think this will make a perfect project for our new house when we move in June! Thanks for sharing!!

    Gorgeous photos by the way!
    Best-
    Kim @ Two Ten
    (Popping in from Craftionary Link Party!)

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails