February 20, 2012

Screen & Yarn Monogram

Whew.
This weekend has been super busy.

We spent most of the day saturday installing my new Elfa system in my closet to get it all organized.
I can't wait to show you guys the before and after!
You'll be amazed :)

I also scored a great roadside find this week- you can check it out on my facebook page.
I've got several pieces I'm working on right now so you'll start seeing some furniture redos soon!!
Are you excited??
I know I am... I love getting back outside and painting!
You know I'm excited when I spend most of the day cleaning out the garage to get ready for furniture painting season :)

Anywho.
I wanted to share a fun and super easy project I did over my winter break.
You know I have a thing for monograms and I've been wanting to mess around with some mesh screen stuff I had lying around.

So I decided they'd make a good match :)


Supplies:
*Frame (I had an old one lying around)
*Screen (bought mine at Lowes forever ago)
*Staple Gun
*Yarn
*Needle

I bought the screen stuff forever ago for a different project and had tons left so I was excited to get to use some of it again!


I liked the bronze-y color of the frame, but decided to give it a little color.
I gently brushed some aqua paint on and then rubbed it off with a paper towel to get a distressed effect.

Subtle but made a big difference.


I took the screen and used some heavy duty scissors to cut it to fit the frame.
Then I used my staple gun to attach it to the back.

This stuff is spiky so be careful that it doesn't bite you :)


Then I went on to my monogram.

I decided to use an aqua yarn (big surprise, huh?)
and the needle I used had a big eye on it so it could let the yarn go through it.


This part was a bit tedious.
If you're the super OCD type, 'sewing' the yarn on might be a process.
I just eye-balled how much space to go between stitches.

Tie a tight knot at the end of the yarn just like you do when hand-sewing something.
Then start wherever you feel the most comfortable at on your letter.
I started at the top part of my "H' and worked my way down, then over.
Pull it tight each time.


I ended up doing two rows of stiches to make it show up better.
You could go with even more rows and it would be pretty too :)


I love how it turned out :)

I think it's very spring-ish so I'm excited to get it up and start feeling sunshine around the house!!


What do you think?
Do you need to add another monogram to your decor??

Hope you guys have a great start to your week :)




If you like this project...
Pin It


post signature

Linking to:


8 comments:

  1. Super Cute!! Thanks for sharing! I am pinning it now-wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya , really great project love that mesh stuff x tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I found your blog through Linky followers blog hop! Would love if you followed me back at www.lakemurraycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest Linky Follower from The Stuff of Success - I am visiting from the Sunday Social at The Sasse Life. Have a great week and feel free to stop by and say hello. Athena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I love doing unexpected things with screen. I have most of a roll in the garage still. Should do something like this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!! :) I finally posted my chair re-do and gave you a shout out! :)
    Thanks again,
    Denissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. The aqua color is very popular! I've been seeing it everywhere which great because I'm in love with the color too:)

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails