January 17, 2012

The Evolution of my Blue Living Room

Whew.
Craft day with a bunch of girls can wear a person out!
We got a lot done yesterday but I was exhausted at the end.
I can't wait to show you a couple projects me and a friend are working on though :)

So I've been promising you a more in-depth tour of my living room and I'm here to deliver.
I get a lot of compliments and questions on my blue living room and it definitely seemed to make a splash when paired with red for Christmas!

So I thought it about time to show you how wonderful this room really does look compared to where it's been in the past three years.

Thus deeming this the 'evolution' post...
tomorrow I'll be sharing more details into the decor and fun stuff :)

When we first looked at the house a couple of years ago when we were engaged and way excited about getting our first home... our living room looked like this...


This room was PERIWINKLE.
Not a pretty lavender. Not a soft blue.
Crazy periwinkle and I was SO not a fan.

Looking at this picture makes me run and check to make sure our living room now is actually from the same house...it's crazy how three years can change so much!

Because I hated the periwinkle so much, this was the first room we tackled.
Oh...and it included the whole kitchen too.

So me and hubby broke out the rollers and paint brushes and tackled our first DIY together :)
*Cue awwws*


And the answer to the question of the year is what color paint did we use?
Why it's none other than 'Ebbtide' by Sherwin Williams.

I don't know why that sounded so important.
But it's pretty and was the perfect blue.

Though don't ask me why I picked it...I still cannot, to this day, remember why I chose blue for these rooms.
It was just meant to be :)


So now we have a pretty color on the walls.
Cue the next big issue.

The nasty, horrible, no-good carpet we lived with for about a year and a half.
The living room is right off the garage and is the main thorough-fare for the entire house.
Therefore a ton of foot traffic.

It ate up dirt like no one's business and fought to keep it.
We had it shampooed several times just to have the nasty stains come right back after a few days.
The previous owners must have shampooed a lot to hide the nastiness that lurked under there!

My favorite day for the house last year was receiving a bajillion boxes of new dark, laminate flooring to be installed!
Halle-freaking-lujah!


Next up was figuring out our 'new' space after the flooring went in.
Once the dark wood was down, I was in love.

But with all our dark furniture and our light-sucking fireplace, it seemed so dark and empty.

First up was painting the end tables white.
Next up was figuring out a good rug to fill the space.
I can't stand just seeing all the wood flooring and having nowhere soft to stand on :)
Cuz I'm a barefoot girl all the way.

So in came the painted chevron rug that about gave me a stroke.
I finally got it looking the way I wanted in my head but then after about a week of it being there...
I decided I didn't like it.

I should have done a post about how 'not to paint a rug' because there was so much craziness involved.
In the end, I scrapped the rug and never posted about it.
Sorry :/


We did end up living with the painted rug for a good 3-4 months before I found my new, favoritest rug of all.

I'd been in love with the zig-zag rug from Urban Outfitters FOREVER not only because it was gorgeous but it's the cheapest chevron rug out there that is fabulous quality.

And one summer day, I swung over to their site just to drool again and they had it IN STOCK.
I looked over at hubby with pleading eyes and he just nodded.
Most. excited. person. ever.

I waited anxiously for that fabulous package to arrive.
And it was perfect for my little room!!

The last thing I wanted to change was getting rid of that light-sucking fireplace cover.
Ack.
So over that dirty brass.
You can read about how I did that here- so easy!! 

And if you even made it through all my wordiness up there... you'll be happy to know that this is where the journey ends.

For now, anyways.

My living room is happy, blue and full of light now :)

Just the way I like it.

(Ha! You only thought I was done-- I actually added molding to the mantle to spice it up a bit which you can see in the picture below-- but that's it! I promise!!)


It's probably the room in my house that I"m the most content with.
I don't look at it and have my eye twitch over anything anymore :)

I'll be back to show you more about the details of the room tomorrow.
Until then,
tell me what your favorite part of the transformation of the room was!
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)


Also- don't forget to subscribe via email or RSS over on my sidebar if you want more ways to keep up with Tattered and Inked!!
I updated my social icons over there to include following via RSS feed so check it out :)

Pin It

post signature

Linking to:

26 comments:

  1. Whoa, that room has come a long way! I looooove the blue and the rug oh and the mantle, so much awesomeness! Have you ever thought about painting the brick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rug too..and I was thinking...Have you ever considered painting the brick white?? I think it would look a-ma-zing. Love the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. creat changes...the new floor is amazing.Makes the room biger and brighter and the fireplace looks more simle and country...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to see the transformation! You did a great job with it. When I saw the picture of the "too dark" fireplace, I couldn't imagine what you were going to do about it. What a surprise! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a transformation!! I agree with you wholeheartedly, that perwinkle color is really REALLY awful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of it! I think the flooring makes a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your livingroom reminds me of mine so much... I want to see the other sides of the room!! I love the white tables which helps to off set the blue and dark furniture so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow How fun! I really think painting the fireplace and adding the mantel added the finishing touches. You did a great job. I linked up to Not Just a Housewife too and saw you there and had to comment on your great room!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic transformation, my favorite part is the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelsey, it turned out great! And the color on the walls so cheerful and bright!
    Love, Olga
    P.S.: visiting from Not Just a Housewife. hope you drop by my place when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! The rug is awesome and totally makes a difference. I've been eyeing a similar black one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rug is so perfect! I love it when a room all comes together. I'm pretty impressed how you tackled the fireplace. I would be too scared to try...but I think I might have to now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the floor looks great! great job with the mantel. Your living room looks so much larger!
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore your rug!! It's perfect! And I love your moving-in picture! Your living room is amazing, Kelsey! This makes me want to get to work on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so glad you found your ideal rug! i'm constantly in a state of tweaking and de-browing my living room. i just got a zig zag ottoman from target online, and it's working out fab.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love!! I was thinking you were going to paint the brick white as well! That would look amazing. :) You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is quite the change from what it was before! The picture wall and the mantel look fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new living room look! This is a great post! I'm having a linky party as well, and would love for you to join it! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-s... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the floors! Thanks for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great! You two have been busy. I love the wood flooring! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We would love to have you back next Saturday to share more great ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love seeing how the room evolved. Earlier this week I posted about the evolution of my son's nursery.

    LOVE your blue rug and how the room is coming together.

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your living room!
    www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow I can say you are so cute blogger :)

    where did you get that flooring? Do you have a trusted furniture shop where you buy furniture from?

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful! i love all of it, thanks for sharing.online beds company

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails