October 10, 2011

My Vintage Frame & Some Sticks...

So I had this pretty vintage frame, right?

And I had no idea what to do with it.
It's gorgeous.

Pretty, intricate detailing all around it.
A beautiful turquoise & gold layered color.
It came from my mimi's house who past away a couple years ago and this frame was brought home because my parents thought it looked like something I'd like.
And I did.

And I didn't want to change a thing about it.
Because it's one of those things you just don't change, you know?
Take a look and tell me that it's not perfect the way it is...


Isn't it unique?
The coloring is just divine...


I was playing around with ideas and completely randomly decided to see how sticks would look with it.
Yup, ordinary, every day sticks.
The whole nature aspect was appealing for some reason.


I got a huge pile (little man was the perfect helper for this part!)
and started lining them up.
I figured out the right arrangement and used my staple gun to attach them to the back of the frame.
A little tricky, but it did the job.


I felt like the sticks blended in a bit too much so I 'whitewashed' them with some trim paint I had on hand.
Just brush it on.
I wasn't going for even coverage so the uneven look is perfect.
And it makes the bumps pop out :)


I decided to add one more little touch and dug out a tag I had
(found a package of cards at Micheals for a buck and just cut them in half to get two tags per card)

I used my awesome new Martha Stewart stencil to put a pretty trellis design on it.


I love the bright red against the sticks.
The quote in the middle was a random scrapbooking embellishment I had that I glued on and inked a little :)
I tied it to the sticks with a piece of twine.


I love the final look.
A little bit of vintage nature with a modern pop!

I also looped some twine around the bottom part of one of the sticks for some more visual interest.


I think the tag looks so pretty against the white sticks.


And, seriously, the color of that frame is my favorite thing ever.
Makes me smile :)


I love finding random vintage treasures.
And I know my mimi would love seeing the frame being used.


What do you think?
Do you like the different spin on using a frame?

You can see it being used in my fall decor here.

Go dig out one of your treasures and see what happens.
(Do you all have a ridiculously large collection of unused frames like me or am I just strange??)

post signature

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. This is all kinds of wonderful! I love how you combined all of these elements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is FANTASTIC! I am going to feature it on Wednesday! Yay! www.johnnyinadress.com

    Oh yea, and I am your 800th follower! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the fact that it means so much to you looks great and has that charm as well come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I had pinned something a while ago on pinterest but yours is waaaay better, so I am pinning it now! LOL, thanks;)
    Came by from Home Stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just gave you the "Versatile Award" over on my blog! Come and check it out! I love the frame with the twigs- you are not strange- I have lots of picture frames too! :)
    Jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have a big obsession with picture frames ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little bit of pretty, a little bit of rustic, a lot bit of great! This is such a fun idea! I am interested to know where you put it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great art display with a mix of vintage and rustic. I love the combination

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like yor tag and the quote fits perfectly with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What agreat organic piece with lots of fabulous texture! Thanks for linking up at Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unique...love the rustic feel of it. Stop by to enter my giveaway for 100 printed postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this! it is so great. i would love for you to link this or any other post up to my link party flashback fridays....a place where bloggers can link up vintage, retro, old posts, or anything that comes to mind when hearing the word "flashback".
    here is the link if you are interested:
    http://lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2011/10/flashback-fridays-6.html

    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelsey, this is so out of the box! Love the 3-dimensional effect of it all, and that tag is the perfect finishing piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so must what a fun and unique idea. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's a great idea! I've never seen it before and it definitely looks good in your fall decor. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the elegance of the frame contrasted with the nature/rustic twigs. The tag is fantastic, too. Very Nice!!
    Stopping by from Embellishing life.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails