October 05, 2011

My Ode to Autumn Project (& a free Autumn printable!)

So did ya think I had forgotten to make an autumn printable?
I've made several just random inspiring words printables lately but Autumn hasn't come up yet.

And that shall be rectified today :)

I actually made this printable a few weeks ago but hadn't found the time to post it.
Along with giving you the printable, I thought I'd share my Autumn project that led to the making of the print.
Sound good to you?

Like you had a choice.
Although I suppose you could skip down to the end of the post for the printable and miss all the crazy awesome stuff.
But you wouldn't do that. No way.

My project started off with a scrap piece of wood:
(as do many of my projects...)

I love all the knots and character in this random piece I had.


I decided to go all natural with this piece and only lightly sanded the wood to prep.
Then I scoured the internet for the perfect Autumn quote and found a beautiful quote from George Eliot.

I printed it out to use as a reference and also found a silhouette of a bird that I liked.


I traced the bird onto the wood and filled the outline in with a calligraphy marker I had.
I then used the calligraphy pen to write the quote as well.
No tracing, no stencils.
I went a little crazy and completely free-handed it.

I wanted a natural, worn sign.


When I finished, I gave it a good coating of my favorite magical stuff.
Minwax Finishing Wax.
It gives it a rich sheen and some nice protection :)


Although I'll never be in love with seeing my own handwriting, I like how the sign turned out.
Rustic, hand-made and completely fall.


Isn't it a beautiful quote?
I've always had a thing for words and am so glad to be able to put that to good use in decorating my home!


So this is my quick little 'ode to Autumn' project.
That literally took about 20 minutes from start to finish.
I love easy projects :)

I was originally going to put this piece on my fall mantle but ended up not liking how it looked up there.
So now it's hanging above my freshly painted pantry doors.
Perfect.  


So now you have the reason for the quote behind my printable.
I decided that some of you might not be into the whole hand-made sign and might want something a little fresh and very easy to use in your decor :)

Plus I just love making printables.
That's probably a big part of it.

And just because I can never decide on just one color, there are five combos to pick from.
The links to each are under the picture so find your favorite, print and frame!!

I hope you love this quote as much as I do!!


Color Options:
(click on links below picture to download)


*Click to Download*



As with all my free printables,
these are for personal use ONLY.
Please do not claim them as your own or alter them.



(I'd love to see how you use them, so please send me a link or email of your pictures- I'll feature them on my Facebook page when I recieve them!!)

post signature

Linking to:



7 comments:

  1. Love the look of your sign and the quote too. :) You did a great job at free-handing the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute board! never heard of that quote, but i like it! thanks for the free printables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow~I love this quote! Thanks so much for sharing the printable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome....and on the wood it looks amazing..great job! I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v8.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty. You are one talented lady! Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, how nice are you? That quote is brilliant, I love it. I think your handwriting is quite nice. ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails