Popular Posts

August 08, 2011

Printing on Linen- A Romantic Makeover


Once upon a time,
there was a little mushroom plaque that someone (probably) worked really hard on.

Fast forward a few years (or twenty) and the little mushroom plaque just didn't quite fit in anymore.
It was then found buried in a long forgotten drawer and brought back home with a few other 'maybe it can be something more' items.
Where it gathered a little more dust
until the day finally came when the little plaque was seen as something fabulous...

and it was finally brought out of hiding to get it's version of a glass slipper :)

So here goes...

I gathered all the necessary 'magical' items...

*little mushroom plaque found in my parents garage
*fun fabric
*a piece of linen fabric
*twine (not pictured)
*scissors


I wanted a pretty romantic look so I liked the idea of using linen- perfectly soft and romantic looking.
I decided to be a little daring and risk completely demolishing my printer by printing on the fabric.

It's not terribly scary and pretty darn easy so here's how if you decide to print on fabric as well...

1. Design your layout on Word, Photoshop or another program. (I used Picnik)
2. Print it out on a regular piece of printer paper first to know exactly where everything falls.
3. Tape down your piece of fabric, making sure that no pieces go over the edges of the paper- you don't want to get a string or piece stuck in the printer. Tape the edges down pretty good and make sure it's flat.
4. Run the paper through (making sure you know how your printer works, for example, I have to put my paper in upside down to make sure it printed on the fabric again). I put my printer setting on 'specialty paper' so that it knew it wasn't just a regular piece.
5. Watch (and listen) carefully so if you hear the printer hit a snag and start eating your paper, you can cancel it and try again. My printer might have sounded like it was dying, but it did it perfectly and still loves me :)


And VOILA- a pretty printed piece of fabric.
Just peel your fabric off and you're good to go.
Instead of cutting the excess fabric around the words off, I just ripped it to get a frayed edge.


I wrapped the pretty fabric around my little mushroom plaque and secured with hot glue.
The linen piece I hammered on with a few nail brads.
Then I tied a piece of twine around the bottom just for kicks and giggles :)


I love the frayed look the ripped linen had.


And I adore that verse...


Want to see where I put the little lovely?
Well...once upon a time,
there was also a boring frame and a sad little shelf...


They both got a little magic wand (spraypaint, of course, duh...)
and here's their happy ending...


What do you think?
The perfect ending for all of them?


This hallway looks much more alive now...
I've always loved that picture and now it doesn't seem quite so cliche.
The pop of blue was all it needed.

The little shelf I just hung upside down to get rid of seeing that leaf.
The underside was painted gloss white and distressed while the top just got a clear coat to brighten up the pretty dark stain.


And a few more of our little Cinderella...






What big plans do you have going on this week?
Any fairy tale makeovers in your book planned?

post signature

UndertheTableandDreamingManic Mother

Linking to:
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Under 100$ @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Catch a Glimpse @ A Glimpse Inside
Whatcha Working with Wednesday @ It's Toile Good
Hookin up with HOH @ House of Hepworths
Everything but the Kitchen Sink @ A Little Knick Knack
Feature Friday @ Spunky Junky
Remodoholics Anonymous @ Remodoholic
Weekend Wrapup Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Strut Your Stuff @ Six Sisters Stuff
Think Pink Sundays @ Flamingo Toes
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Craftomaniac Monday @ Craftomaniac
Craft Catwalk @ Embellishing Life
Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across my Face
You're So Very Creative @ Me Making Do
T2T Tuesday @ Sassy Sites
Anything Related @ All Thingz Related
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife


23 comments:

  1. Brillilant! I have been dying to try that - printing on fabric - and now I feel like I HAVE to. Yours turned out so great! I love the whole combo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I think it would be really cute to make as a wedding gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it love it love it!!!!! This turned out so shabby-romantic :) Love the colors of the fabric and I love the verse you chose. I so want to try this...my husband would KILL me if I broke our printer LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love how it turned out. I really need to get me a colored printer - adding it to my Christmas wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! Love everything about it! Quote, fabric, colors, everything! I'm going to feature it tomorrow on my site. I hope you'll stop by and grab a button!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!! Found you on Spunky Junky.

    Here's my 2 cents...when I'm printing on fabric with my inkjet printer, I use an 8.5 x 11 sheet of adhesive mailing label. Who knew they made them this size, right?! I peel the backing off and stick it to my fabric, then use my rotary cutter and ruler to even up the fabric to the edges of the label. Sticks super well. I haven't had fabric get stuck in my printer since I started doing it this way @ 6 months ago :o) !!! No more fear of fabric getting eaten in the printer!!!

    Here's what I print fabric labels for...but only if you're interested :o)
    http://hiddeninmyheartdolls.blogspot.com/2011/08/brynn-and-cameron.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...not just the project, but the post and the love! You should share this next Tuesday on my Tuesday Time Out Link Party!


    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too cute - I love it :) and I love how you hid the leaf on the shelf too!

    I really want to try printing on fabric... just need to find some spare time from somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely adorable! Definitely one of the cutest things I have seen this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, and I love that the risk paid off! Good thinking hiding that leaf. There are so many great shelves out there with less than wonderful embellishments :) Saw you on FT Think Pink party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love. I have been trying to figure out how to hang a fun quote in my baby's room and I think this is going to be PERFECT! I love it!Thanks!
    Saw you on FT Think Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is the trick that I use to print on fabric. Instead of taping the fabric on regular paper, use freezer paper. Iron the fabric on the freezer paper and leave about an inch at the top. Fold that over and iron it on the right side of the fabric. This leaves a nice solid edge to run through the printer....keeps your printer from making ugly noises at you. After you print....just peel the fabric away. Now your post got me inspired to do some for myself! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love that! I never thought of putting fabric through my printer, I'm going to have to try it. And I love that verse, too, perfect! Yup, painting the frame and that cute little plaque were the perfect additions, in my opinion anyway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I would never have known that you could put fabric through a printer. Great quote (I also love the Emerson quote in your header). I would love it if you would stop by and share this at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    :)Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-4-craft-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tutorial! I was printing on tissue paper just the other day, who knew you could print on so many things! I'd love for you to come link up at my Tuesday Tutorials Link Party! :)

    http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/08/tuesday-tutorials-link-party-no2.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. gotta try this! thanks for linking up to WWWW! I'm featuring this awesomeness today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is super adorable! Love how you printed on the fabric! www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome. I have always wanted to print on fabric! Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

    I am featuring you in the morning!

    halz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I so love that verse. and I am "pinning" because I think I have found the perfect framed piece for our master bedroom re-do!
    thanks, I came by from Flamingo toes:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is super sweet Kelsey! I love it and I'm so glad you linked up to Think Pink Sundays! I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/08/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-19/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE THIS!! I used this saying/verse on my wedding programs. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is by heart language with soul.A print is give chance to remove heart dust And make wonderful life.

    advertising company brisbane

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails