March 28, 2011

Distressed, Burlap-ed & Fabulously Chic

Do you like you my made-up word title?

But, seriously, summing up a project in a few words is harrd.
Well...for projects like this.

That is...projects that contain all the yumminess of ruffles, burlap, crackled paint and fabric rosettes.
Oh yes, it does.

If I had just said 'Painted Frame' that would have been fabulously boring, huh?

So maybe, just maybe, my title didn't make you sigh and skip past it.

Did you know that spring break is really over?
I seriously am having a hard time believing it.
I go back to the real classroom today for the first time in three weeks.
Because I was on clinicals, remember?

I think I'm going to miss clinicals.
*sigh*

So on to my supposidly 'fabulously chic' frame.
Oh wait. It really is.
I'm kind of in love with it.

I found these lovely unfinished pieces at Walmart, of all places.


I loved the chunky frame and, on a whim, grabbed the small, beveled piece as well.

This was one of my 'it's still too cold to not be under a blanket' type of projects.
So I gathered my supplies in my crazy awesome 'cromer' bucket
(I'll have to do a whole post on Cromer's Peanuts...just you wait)
and headed to the living room to curl up with a blanket and have a movie on.

The crazy awesome bucket contains Mod Podge, fabrics, my crackling glaze, some paints and stain.
Umm and a bunch of burlap :)


First things first.
I stained that chunky little frame.
(It's actually quite big...that's why I loved it so)

I mostly stained the edges because I wanted to distress it later and knew I'd hit those parts the most.


While that dried, I painted the edges of my little piece in a beautiful aqua blue.
Then I took my burlap and cut it in strips.
I grabbed my trusty hot glue gun (Oh yea..that was in the bucket too!)
and glued it around the back of the wood piece.
Every little bit, I gathered it to make a little ruffle.
(I"m so about not using a sewing machine. Those things hate me)


Here's the front once the lovely ruffles were glued on the back.

Mmm. Love that texture.


The next part shows me failing as a blogger.
Yup.

I didn't take pictures.
Gasp!

Imagine with me.
Next step: Paint blue over the stain.
Then crackle paint
Lastly, a nice layer of vintage white.

Let the crackle paint do it's magic.
Then glue the small piece onto the big frame.

Here's the picture I modpodged into the middle...


Watcha think?
Fabulously chic?


I took some scrap fabric and made some yummy little rosettes.


and, oh yes, distressed the edges (and all over too)
I absolutely love the colors that come through.


I have an obsession with
1. Distressing something light to see dark wood underneath
(hence the stain)
and
2. Taking pictures outside
(cannot beat that crazy beautiful light)


Recognize the sweet picture?
I showed it to you guys when the Black and White photo party was going on.
I adore the faux canvas-sy texture it has.


So did my title capture it somewhat?
I'm in love with the layers and textures.

So much better than a regualar frame to show off your favorite picture.
It was the perfect finishing touch to the shelf I just redid and hung up.


See why I take pictures outside?
lol. The indoor light hates me and my little camera.

I hope you guys have a wonderful Monday
(if that's entirely possible)
and wish me luck on getting back into the groove of school.

*************************

Have you entered for a chance to win your own 'bushel and a peck' print yet?

Go here to enter!!


Giveaway ends this Friday!
Thanks for being such fantastic followers :)

(GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED)

signature

Featured on:
Visit thecsiproject.com

Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. wow- that is an awesome project. love, love, love- hey- what did you use to get the aged look to your photo? do you use photoshop? PS- the ruffled burlap- fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww soo cute, love the fabric flowers attached!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fabulous! I love it! here from Sassy Sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it!! Burlap and antiqued white...swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. It looks amazing. Love the burlap ruffles and the fabric flowers.

    I came over from TCB's Get Your Craft On.


    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya , i want one of those frames , so i will "borrow" your idea and share the results with you , tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!!!!!! Happy Friday Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I love all the textures! Here from TT and J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! I have all the supplies on hand to make one of these too...woot woot!!! Thanks for sharing...I am your newest follower:)

    LaKeta
    1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!!! The burlap and rosettes are the perfect touch! I found you through tatertots and jello. Thanks for sharing! :)
    http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is WAY CUTE! I love how you mounted the entire thing onto another board. The stacking effect is incredible. I'd love to have you link this to my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. OHHH' I love it. Going to share in on my CraftOManiac FB page. winks- jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute picture frame...I love the flowers...Thanx for sharing! Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super super cute! I'd love for you to link up over at my place! http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/time-to-shine-link-party-no-13.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails