December 13, 2010

Dollar Store Christmas Art

Sorry if I'm not around a lot this week.
I'll just say that in advance.
Finals week is in full swing.
UGH.
But I got through my Gross Anatomy final this morning... so I only have to survive three more.
Then I can really BREATHE.

I just wanted to pop in and show you guys some fun wall art I made the other day.

When I was outside working on my "Joy to the World" sign, I saw a piece of plywood laying around.
(It was actually supposed to be used for a present that my sister wanted done...woops)
So while I was waiting for my 'joy' sign to dry and all that good stuff... I sifted through my stash until I found a couple Dollar Tree Christmas felt pieces...

I just kinda played with them until I decided I liked how they looked...

I wanted the colors of the 'stencils' to be different so I just eye-balled where they lay on the piece of wood.
Then I spray-painted each area with the color I wanted them to be:
After that dried, I replaced the felt pieces back over those colors and sprayed with heirloom white over the whole thing...
Then I lifted the pieces back up...and bam!
Colorful Christmas Art!!!!
I was in love with how pretty and how incredibly easy it was.
I probably did it all within ten minutes.
Here it is with my sister's own version of the 'joy to the world' sign...
I had to go ahead and give the tree to her since it technically WAS her piece of wood :)
I also sanded it down a little to roughen it up.
Of course :)
While I was at it, I Christma-fied (yes, it's a word!) an awesome cabinet door that my friend Bekah gave me...

This one was even easier, if you can believe it!
I just wanted the natural wood look underneath so I just laid the tree down and gave it all a good coat of a pretty green I had lying around.
I love it.
Super easy.
Which is just what I need with finals trying to kill me and all :)
Go find something fun to paint!!
(trust me, it's better than studying thirteen different theories for occupational therapy)
Oh yea... I need to go do that...

signature

Linking to: 

6 comments:

  1. Totally regretting not getting some of the felt pieces I saw at our Dollar Tree when I was there a few weeks ago!!!!! But when I saw them my creative juices were not flowing at all and I couldn't think of what I'd use them fo:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative use of those felt pieces! I have those same pieces, but I haven't done anything with them yet. I might have to try your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super cute! I'm headed over there today...gonna see if I can snatch some up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!

    Come enter for a free paper bead necklace from Heart Strings for Orphans!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/gifts-that-give-back-heart-strings.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on Tater Tots and Jello! I am loving your blog, I saw it before, but now I am hooked! I would like to invite you to my $50 American Express giveaway and a linky party I have, all going on this week! Happy Holidays! Keep up the great blogging!
    -Dana Jean

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it's the cool air here right now, but I've got christmas on the brain. I came across your post and just love the stencil idea. You really pulled off a great look for very little. 'like'

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails