November 17, 2010

Burlap & Fabric Wreath

This week is crazy with school, sick family and a wedding coming up on Saturday.

So I thought I'd throw you a quick and easy tutorial- one that should have been up a while ago.
Woops :/

Anyhow.

So. You should know that I have a pretty darn big mantle.
I'm always hunting for awesome, not-too-busy ways to decorate it.

Last year, I did...okay.
Give me credit...we had just moved in a couple months earlier.

There weren't even pictures in most of the frames...


And I adore my canvas photo that my fabulous bridesmaids got me...
but I wanted to trade it out during the fall/Christmas season this time.

Enter awesome old window frame I found at a local antique store...


I decided to hang this above the fireplace...at least for the time being.

But it needed a friend :)

So I grabbed some burlap, scrap fabric, and an old clothes hanger.

I took several strips of burlap I had and just hotglued them together (because they weren't going to show anyway) until I had one long big strip of burlap.

Then I took my scrap fabric (recognize it from here?) and did the same.
I ended up with two long strips- one burlap, one dot fabric.
The dot fabric is skinnier than the burlap.

Then I just hotglued the fabric all the way down the middle of the burlap:


Once that was all ready to go, this is the super easy part!

Just start threading it through the clothes hanger!


I just kind of did accordian folds as I went along and got nice, pretty folds.

After it was all strung, I just fluffed it out to fill out the wreath then twisted the ends of the hanger together to close.
I ended up hotgluing a burlap bow to the top because there wasn't quite enough to fill the whole hanger.


I love the bunchy, polka-dot, burlap deliciousness!

And it was so nice to have something different going on top of the mantel!


I've changed it several times in the past few weeks... just playing around with it.
I took some of the frames out and added some home-made dollar store apothecary jars with beans and candles.
I also added my scrappy fall letters that I did a while back at some point.
Do you see my dollar store tile mirror hiding in there too?


Then I traded out the candles on top of my glass candlesticks and plopped some of the  toilet paper pumpkins floating around blogland...
A couple Hobby Lobby pumpkins and a beautiful squash later... and I think it's complete.

For now, that is.


Ooh...and amazing hubby made a roaring fire in the fireplace a little while ago.
So I'm off to sit next to it and listen to the cold rain outside.

Happy fall guys... it'll soon be Christmas-wishin' time :)


**Apparantly I wasn't the first to have this fabulous wreath idea... you have to check out the Halloween version that It's Toile Good did here.  It's simply gorgeous.**

signature

Linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! Love your version! I did one just like this with black burlap and orange fabric for Halloween! LOVE your polka dots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey! You are too kind to link back to mine (which you didn't need to, but thanks though) I think hot glue might just be the way to go if I make another! I am too excited to be your newest follower! That Christmas tree pillow is kinda genius! Gonna have to borrow your great idea on that one and whip together one of those myself! Looking forward to learning more from you!!
    Best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it. So simple and cute. Even I could make this! Ha! Thanks so much for linking up!
    I hope you can join my giveaway going on now, too! Have a great weekend.
    http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/11/giveaway-with-where-grass-is-greener.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails