Popular Posts

October 13, 2010

The Great Pumpkin Seed Challenge

Remember how I told you last week that my husband had issued me a challenge?

Welllll I thought I'd reveal the story behind that...

There's my silly man... he won't take normal pictures with me... ugh.

So we were walking through Lowes the other day... he was picking out a new leaf blower because it DOES look like fall outside even if it doesn't feel like it here...

and I looked over at him and said 'babe...it must really suck to be married to someone that can find something to use in any store we go into...you just can't get away from it"

Then came the big mistake...
"Well you can't find something in ANY store..."

"ummm...what store can I NOT find something in?"

*long pause*

"That shell station across the street"

game on.

He totally took me to that Shell station and in his best "project runway" voice told me that I had five minutes inside to use five dollars to find something I could make a project from.
The only rules were:
*it had to be under five dollars
*it couldn't be anything I had made before
*Whatever I bought had to be the main part of the project but I could use other items I had on hand.

Can anyone tell that we have just a goofy relationship? :)

He totally thought he had me.

He still thought he had me even after I picked up these:


I have to admit I was a little skeptical myself... this was a REALLY small shell station :)
And I didn't want to be cliche and just buy candy corn to make a wreath, even though we all know it can be done!

So I made pumpkin seeds my main focal point of my project.

He told me I had 48 hours to get it done. lol

So... when I got home, I grabbed these:


White, orange and black acrylic paints
And a blank square canvas I got forever ago from Big Lots for a whole 3$!

I painted it up:

I LOVE how it turned out....

All Sunset-ty


I had this webby stuff I got from the Dollar Tree and I played with it for a while...then I ended up just stretching it across the canvas and securing it to the back with hot glue.


This was the fun part... I dumped the pumpkin seeds and played with them for a while.
I guess this is where your personality can come out :)

After I got my pumpkin shape, I hotglued those suckers down.


And... voila!

My pumpkin-seed pumpkin!


I used some twine and wrapped it around the bottom of the canvas then just stuck a fun fake fall flower on...


I kind of love it.


Hubby was impressed.

And that's what matters, right?

Plus, this took like a third of a bag of seeds... I could make like five more!


Pretty, pretty pumpkin.

So, yes, honey. I CAN find something to craft with anywhere.
Sorry 'bout that.

:)
This project was featured on:

I Read Home HingesPhotobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming 
Craft DIY Ideas
signature

Linking too:

HookingupwithHoH
Beyond The Picket Fence

24 comments:

  1. Ummm....THAT IS AWESOME! I really do like the outcome, but mostly the story. That is the best challenge ever, and totally shows that you two have a really fun relationship. I love it! Great job. You totally win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love it! Very cute and creative. And I think y'all are onto something. I'd love to see a Project Runway type show for crafters/decorators!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is impressive!! I don't think I could have completed that challenge. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative! I Love the pumpkin seed pumpkin.......very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally impressed!! That is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you and your husband have a fun relationship.

    Isn't it amazing how a challenge can bring out creativity? Your pumpkin plaque is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so what did you win??? :) I love this, great creativity! It's really cute, I think I may want one for my house. Hmmm....shell stations are all over, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kinda love it too...good job! Oooh I also want you to know that I given you and award!

    http://www.kreativeknack.com/2010/10/starting-is-hardest-part.html

    Have a Great Day!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI There! I am your newest follower from the blog hop!!! Lovely blog you have here:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    This is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, love this! What a unique idea. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are fast on your feet! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. too cute,, some of the projects come out of working under pressure. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this pumpkin seed project so much I'm featuring it on my site today. I hope you don't mind.
    April @ HomeHinges.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure showed your hubby! I love what you came up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh, such a cute story! Love the project too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, very creative--way to rise to the challenge! Thanks for sharing at Beyond the Picket Fence's Under $100 linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creative! I like it!

    Melissa
    http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so cute and original! i'm your newest follower... would love for you to consider checking my blog out too. and i'd love for you to link this up at "a crafty soiree" the party i co-host on thursdays. (-:
    malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the challenge. I think that art is all about problem solving, perhaps that's why we like it so much. It seems that when we are presented with limits, our creativity kicks into high gear. The most creative dampener is "do whatever you'd like". There are too many choices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that your hubby challenged you. That sounds like something my hubs would do.

    And look at what came out of it! It's cute! I love it.

    I tweeted about this because I love it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Muwahahaha! That's fantastic!!! My husband used to joke that he never knew if he was coming home to his pants made into curtains : ) . You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kelsey, This is very cool! I just adore the little seeds. I featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it. Hope you enjoy your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that is really, really pretty. I love it! I just clicked over from Tip Junkie and would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I freaking love this project. I would LOVE for you to link up this post on my Perfect Pumpkin Week link up to share with my other lovely followers. http://mommynmeblog.com/2012/09/perfect-pumpkin-week/

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails