July 08, 2010

Boy Room Wall Decor

I have no idea, but my son's room has been the room I've been avoiding decorating.
When we moved in a year ago, he was in a crib and growing out of that whole 'baby' stage.
With the rest of the house going under decorating overhaul, I just never came up with anything cohesive for his room.

Here's what it's been like for the past eight months or so...


Things just kind of got put in there.
Not terrible... but not great.

See that canvas print?
That's one of the first things I ever blogged about!
You can find that ancient post here.

I thought I wanted to do a sports theme... but, really, it's just not little man.

**warning: this post has a lot of pictures and projects, if you want to know more about anything, just ask and I'll go into more detail!**

So I got so tired of looking at things last week that I just jumped up and took everything off the walls.
Yes, I am aware that I'm crazy, thank you :)

I just laid it all on the ground, grabbed some things from my stash and played.


See that pretty burlap R?
I did a tutorial on that not long ago... look at it here.

That R was my favorite piece... nothing else made me very happy.
So everything else needed to be REVAMPED.
Everything.

So I got the basic shapes and layout I wanted and sat there just looking.
Probably for a good half hour.

Then I just got to work.
I figured if I hated it, I could redo them.
But why not give it a try?

Here's a couple before and afters of a few pieces:


I did a simple change to these letters.
The green ones hanging by the tulle were wayy cute in his nursury.
Not so much now.

I took the tulle off and the ribbons from around them.
It's hard to see in the picture, but I painted them red and then brown.
They were sanded down really well and so now they're a vintage-y brown and red. :)


This is another quick-fix.
The football metal thing was from his maybe-sports room.
All I did was grab the fabric (which was the inspiration for his new room) and quickly qlued it on.
Easy, vibrant fix.


I love love love how this turned out.
I found this motercycle print at a garage sale and loved the texture on the middle piece.
It's two boards together so that middle piece just pops out at ya.
I painted the middle red and printed off a few 5x7 sepia prints of little man.
A little glue and some modpodge, it looks ah-mazing.

I don't have before/afters on these but you can imagine with me, kay?


This was a dollar store frame that I spray-painted hammered bronze.
I stuck a piece of scrapbook paper in the frame and glued a wooden R that I painted red/brown on the glass.
Ta-da!


This piece was f.u.n.
It started as a falling-off cabinet door on a shelf unit I got at a flea market.
I nearly threw it away but those square shapes can be hard to come by so it stayed.

I took this:


and laid it on top of the door after it was painted red.
This is just a piece of crazy scrapbook paper.

I laid it on, sprayed on some chocolate brown and then glazed it.

Way too easy.

I also had a couple wooden R's just lying around... I love monograms.
I painted those.... and once everything was done and laid out, I got out hammer and nails.

Here's what little man came home too:


I was so excited once it was done.
It makes a huge difference in the room, makes it not feel so crazy and sporadic.
Don't mind the picture hangers on the other wall... those are off and that spot is filled (you'll see soon!)

I also did a rough dust-ruffle on the bed with the same fabric I used on the wall.
I hated seeing the clutter under his bed and this makes it look so neat and fun.

Here's a close-up of the collage...


*sorry 'bout the reflections*
I love how the red and blue and brown look together.

Sorry if it seemed confusing or hectic... but, well, it was done in one afternoon so there was lots to show :)

I'll probably fiddle around more in the next few months with the arrangement but I am super in love with it now.
Keep watching, I'm slowly but surely going to get that room perfect :)

signature




6 comments:

  1. ooO I really like it!! Looks really fabulous without being a bit girly or baby-ish. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to make such a big change literally on a dime!

    Looks great so far!!!!

    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Red, brown and blue is boytastic! You have gotten me motivated to do my little man's room now. Thanks for the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Everything is amazing! The colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE what you did! I'm also a huge fan of monograms. I've been really struggling with what to do with my 11 month old's room. He's already so boyish that it seems like he's outgrown his winnie the pooh nursery decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious! Love how it turned out. I'm heading over to the tutorial on that burlap letter. It's too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails