May 31, 2010

Upholstery Tack Crown

So.

I almost didn't post this.
(Just wanted to let you know)

This is one of those projects that looked amazing in my head.
But once done... I keep looking at it.
Sometimes I like it.
Sometimes I don't.

Just decided to put it out there.
Don't tell me if you hate it.

(I might cry)
Just don't lie and say it's wonderful either :)

Here goes nothing loving blog friends...

I started with these:


A blank wooden board and several boxes of upholstery tacks from lowes.

First all I did was give it an under layer of a turquoise-green color.
Then painted over that with a mixture of beige and white paint.

Here's what I got:



I'm actually in love with the paint color.
It may be my favorite part.

Then I sanded it...



Like I said... LOVE the paint.
Probably the only reason I didn't just throw it away on my 'I don't like this' moments...

I grabbed my boxes of tacks:



and put a stencil of my crown over my board:



And went to town.
Two problems:
1- I was tired... too tired to probably be hammering tacks into something. But I had determination.
2. If I ever attempt this again... I"ll be more OCD about getting them in straight on. I like the whole vintage-y messy look but not really on the tacks:



So.... can you tell what it is?

I can... but then again, I have the vision.

My husband knew.

Hm.



It looks good from a ways off. lol.

Too many dots? Something missing?

Just don't know... don't have that LOVE IT moment.
But nevertheless... I'm putting it out there.

Don't make me cry, fabulous followers. :)

Hope everyone is having a fantastic memorial day!


signature

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I really like your idea! I love crowns, shabby stuff, etc. and I'm hoping to do a project soon with upholstery tacks. I showed your piece to my husband and we can both def tell it's a crown. I really like it the way it is, but here's a thought (did you really want suggestions?!) - Maybe if you take out the 4 tacks on the left and the 3 tacks on the right on the base of the crown, it would look a little more like a crown? However it ends up, I think your vision is great, maybe I'll try to do one, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to tell you, come visit me sometime - I'm giving away 3 glam Sam Moon cuff bracelets!
    www.sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
    ♥Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I wanted you to know that I have selected you for a blog award! Please stop by my blog www.nestledinrosenberg.com to pick it up. You will need to just copy the image onto your computer and read my post about the awards and follow my lead. Thank you!

    T.bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've added your blog to the Blog Guidebook at www.blogguidebook.com under the Crafting category.
    Hope you'll join us!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and I can see where you were going with it. maybe some light painting to tell what the crown is and then use the tacks? so then there's some structure underneath? make it look like the paint's worn off.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails