May 06, 2010

"Calm" Blocks

So. Finals are over.

Wednesday was a long, stressful day.
I'm so glad this semester is over.

Unfortunately, I only have about a week of a break and then I start my first classes of OT school.
I know it will be worth it.

I just hope to have some energy by then.

I know I posted my sneak of my wooden trunk but I've been meaning to post this for a while and, well, it's appropriate for this crazy week.

I have a hard time remember to just stay calm.
No wonder I love "Keep Calm and Carry On" so much.
(Really, I do. I'm obsessed)

I love having little visual reminders in places... they help me get my mind back on what it needs to be on.

So I started with these blocks:



I was so excited about cutting these blocks... my dad let me use his miter saw.

You should have seen his face when I asked him if he had one.
And then jumped up and down when he said yes.

My husband and dad think I'm crazy that I love tools.
Oh well.

So I cut these blocks and then just had them sitting there for weeks while I decided what to do with them.

Then... I painted them.



I've been adding touches of yellow to my back living room... and loving it.
It makes me happy.

I roughed them up a bit and sanded the corners down to give a more rounded look.

Then I had this pretty paper lying around:



So I cut them down and slapped some mod-podge on.



Then sanded again.

Then, for the first time without my cricut, I cut out some letters.
(I used Word to get a font I liked, then cut out with my exacto knife. Don't laugh)



I wasn't crazy about the green once it was on... but I inked the edges with a chocolate brown to make them stand out a bit more.

Here's my finished reminder:



I so needed this around this week.

I've decided that "Keep Calm and Carry On" is my mantra to get me through OT school.

Stay tuned. More calm reminders will be popping up.

Also: one of my best friends is graduating high school in a couple weeks
(I always forget she's so much younger than me)

and we worked on her senior board:


(she had a million pictures)
We had to be creative to get all those pictures on there and poor Gin is craft-inhibited.
Seriously. She couldn't even get the cutter to work.

But we (I) came up with these nifty little flip books for the top to get more pics in:


We were proud.

Hope everyone has had a great week so far... and remember... stay calm! :)

The Girl Creative

signature





10 comments:

  1. i love wood blocks too and you've made it a little more interesting!
    i'm now a follower, hope you'll follow back!
    thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look great, we can all do with that reminder from time to time!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you from New Friend Friday.Hope your follow me back!
    http://artjourney-gennie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following you over from New Friend Friday!

    Stop by and enter my giveaway:
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/05/eco-friendly-peter-rabbit-organic.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Stopping by from New Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your blog! I am now a "follower" from New Friend Friday.

    Would you be interested in doing a button swap? If so, please email me at: megtucker@comcast.net

    Come follow if you'd like! Have a great day!

    Meghan
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com
    www.mygreatretreat.com
    http://seedsoffaithforthechristianmom.blogspot.com
    http://mygreatretreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your blog! I am now a "follower" from New Friend Friday.

    Would you be interested in doing a button swap? If so, please email me at: megtucker@comcast.net

    Come follow if you'd like! Have a great day!

    Meghan
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com
    www.mygreatretreat.com
    http://seedsoffaithforthechristianmom.blogspot.com
    http://mygreatretreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blocks turned out great!

    Following you over from New Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I'm visiting from New Friend Friday! Your name caught my eye. I'm all interested...

    And I love your wood craft! Totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't ya just love a linky party. Love your blocks, just thought I would stop in and check out your creativity! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails